5 Best Baby Wrap Carriers for Plus Size Mom to Fight Postpartum Babywearing Challenges
Babywearing is undeniably a tedious task for new parents, especially for new moms at the 24/7 newborn stage. It is even more distressing for plus-size moms as it’s difficult to find the best-fitted child carriers for them.
But nowadays, things are changing for sure. You can now get plenty of plus-size mom essentials including baby wraps and carriers. Not only do they provide comfort while babywearing but also give the mom confidence.
However, after analyzing the expert opinions on babywearing commodities and after going through some of the current best child carriers in the industry, we prepared a list of best baby wrap carriers for plus-size moms below. The five products in the list keep both the mother and the child safe in long baby-bearing sessions.
Best Baby Wrap Carrier for Plus Size Mom
Out of so many alternatives, finding the best infant carriers, that too in extra large size might seem intimidating. To help yourself in this regard, you can give the following list a go.
1. Baby K’tan Baby Wrap Carrier
- HANDS FREE BABYWEARING: Keep newborn babies, preemies and infants close while you go about your day. Our unique baby wrap design also supports your best position for easy breastfeeding on the go. (If under 8 lbs, consult healthcare professional)
- SIMPLE DESIGN: The Baby K'tan baby wrap is quick and easy to wear - no rings, belts, buckles or excess fabric. This infant carrier is the no-wrap wrap! Just slip the sling over your head like a t-shirt.
- COMPLETE COMFORT: Made from 100% cotton, our baby carrier allows even weight distribution, and the breathable fabric is soft against baby skin. Not bulky or frilly - ideal for both moms and dads.
- SAFE AND SECURE: Our infant holder’s unique double loop design and one way stretch hold your baby securely in place, and the wrap carrier’s natural seated position is Approved Hip Healthy by the International Hip Dysplasia Institute.
- 28 POSITIONS: Our infant carrier wrap grows with your child - choose the best position from sling wrap for newborn babies & preemies to an upright seated carrier for newborns up to 35lbs. (Under 8 lbs, consult medical professional)
On the very first spot, we would like to introduce you to a premium-quality baby carrier from Baby K’tan- a renowned name in the industry. Being designed in so many colors, you can grab it from small to extra large sizes. So, no more worries for plus-size parents.
What makes it more desirable is the t-shirt style. You can slip it over the head and that’s it! No extra wrap or buckles to turn it into a hassle to wear. Also, being made of pure cotton, this baby sling is the best for your newborn’s delicate skin.
Besides, the most interesting advantage of this wrap carrier is the five versatile carrying positions. The simple wrap design provides adequate balance to breastfeeding moms on the go. So, experts suggest it as the best baby carrier wrap for breastfeeding.
However, don’t get disappointed by the close-fitting at the beginning. It stretches out eventually.
Material: 100% cotton fabric is breathable enough to assure ultimate comfort.
Strap Type: You can carry your little darling for long hours keeping your hands relaxed as there are shoulder straps to share the loads.
Design: It’s a no-ring sling having no belts or buckles. Wearing it is pretty simple and quick, just like your t-shirt gliding over your head.
Carrying Positions: 5 different carrying positions to meet the growing demands of your little one.
Weight Range: The wrap carrier is architectured to carry youngsters from 8 lbs to 35 lbs. Professional advice is suggested for carrying babies under 8 lbs.
Size: Available in several sizes- from XXS to XL. Resultantly, ideal for all new moms with some extra kilos.
- The breathable cotton fabric is machine washable and dryer safe
- Even weight distribution by the double-loop design
- Easy to wear just in seconds
- Seems too tight at the beginning
- The loops don’t stay straight
2. Konny Ultra-Lightweight Baby Carrier for Summer
- No Belts, Buckles, or Wraps – The smarter, ergonomic design of our baby carrier newborn to toddler sling lets you slide it over your torso like a T-shirt and at just half a pound it’s lightweight, compact, and more comfortable for all-day wear.
- Alleviate Back and Body Pain – Our baby wearing carrier helps evenly distribute your baby’s weight which can reduce pain and pressure in the upper back, shoulders, neck, or waist. It also allows you to move hands-free for working around the house.
- Breathable Fabric – Softer and cooler than basic baby carrier wraps this sling lets children feel like they’re enjoying a comfy hug while letting them gently move or shift without interrupting their dreams or hurting their hips or joints.
- Help Healthy Hip Development – Designed to meet strict Standard Consumer Safety Specification for Sling Carriers (ASTM F2907-15) our baby wearing carrier is made with high-quality materials’ that are kid safe, durable, and made for lasting use.
- Complete Baby Shower Package – Get a baby carrier for yourself or give one to a friend or family member as a push or baby shower gift. Each bundle comes with an outer sash, eco-pouch, and user manual to help better support your everyday needs.
Next on the list, we have an incredible baby wrap sling that comes in a wide range of sizes. Surely, you can try it out no matter how overweight you are!
Compared to its contemporary baby slings, it outperforms others with the finest fabric, that is cool air mesh, to give your toddler an uninterrupted sleep. Besides, the stable shoulder support alleviates back pain by scattering the weight evenly.
Just like the Baby K’tan, it too offers a hassle-free wearing experience in a wink. On top of that, it is approved by the International Hip Dysplasia Institute for your baby’s healthy hip development. As the cool air mesh fabric is breathable enough in hot temperatures, it’s one of the best baby wrap carriers for summer you can get right now!
A matter of dissatisfaction is the lightweight feature that lacks adequate back support like the heavy ones. It’s not a big issue though!
Material: Cool span air mesh that is usually used for making high-quality sportswear. The finely woven fabric consists of 87% polyester and 13% spandex.
Color: Available in a vast variety of colors to suit your taste.
Weight: Weighs less than one pound- pretty lightweight to be carried in your purse.
Size: Konny manufactured it in different sizes which starts at 2XS. The limit point is 3XL.
Weight Range: You can snuggle your newborn to a 44 pounds toddler without any difficulty as it passed both the static and the dynamic load testing.
Smart Ergonomics: The smart and stylish ergonomics are super comfortable for the parents and beneficial to the baby’s hip joints.
- 85% sun protection and rapid moisture wicking fabric make it summer-friendly
- Firm and stable hold provide balance at the postpartum stage
- Being machine washable, it’s very easy to clean frequently
- A bit tricky to wear for first-time users
- Lacks adequate head support
3. Baby K’tan Breeze Baby Wrap Carrier for Plus Size Moms
- BONDING BABYWEARING: Our ready to wear infant holder’s unique double loop design and one way stretch hold your baby securely in place close to your heart for hands free babywearing and easy breastfeeding on the go
- NO RINGS OR TYING: The Baby K'tan is the no-wrap wrap! Instead of fiddly rings, belts and buckles, this individually sized infant carrier slips over your head like a t-shirt for simple convenience and the perfect fit
- BREATHABLE COTTON MESH: Ideal for both cooler and warmer days, our versatile adjustable half mesh/half jersey cloth cotton baby carrier keeps you and your baby comfortable whatever the weather
- FULL BACK SUPPORT: Carry newborns to toddlers with ease! The versatile cloth sling holds your baby close to your body, and distributes their weight evenly across your back and shoulders
- 5 POSITIONS: Our infant carrier wrap grows with your child - choose the best position from sling wrap for newborn babies and preemies to an upright seated carrier for toddlers up to 35lbs. (Under 8 lbs, consult medical professional)
On the third spot, let’s talk about another baby sling from BBy K’tan that is considered a blessing for all the plus-size moms out there!
As you already know, Baby K’tan has a variety of carrying modes for new moms. This breeze sling too has multiple modes adjustable to your sweetheart’s age.
That being said, another exclusive add-on is the half mesh and half-soft cotton fabric that allows adequate airflow to keep you cool. You just need to rotate the loops from cozy to cool.
Similar to the Konny one, this too is a hip-healthy baby bearer. The natural seated position along with the double loop architecture mark it as the best baby carrier wrap for a baby hip.
However, you might be bothered by its not too stretchy fabric. Apart from that, it could be a great grab though!
Baby Weight Limit: Minimum 8 pounds, maximum 35 pounds.
Weight: 1 pound, lightweight enough to be packed in a diaper bag while traveling.
Style: It’s a wrap-style baby holder that is ready to wear. But no additional wraps or belts are there.
Size: Baby K’tan introduced this infant holder in individual size for individual users. This is not a one size fits all thing and therefore, manufactured in 2XS, XS, S, M, L, and, XL volume.
Fabric: 100% soft cotton fabric, divided into 50% jersey knit, and 50% mesh knit.
Baby Holding Positions: It offers you five versatile ways to bear your bambino.
Compact Construction: Being tailored with lightweight cotton fabric, the child carrier is compact enough to be folded even in a diaper bag.
- Buckle-free construction makes it easily wearable
- The shoulder straps make it conveniently carryable by equal weight distribution
- Comes with a carrying bag that you can use as a support sash
- Difficult to get the right fit
- Inadequate back support for long baby holding sessions
4. Nalakai Ring Sling Bamboo Baby Carrier
- Creates a nourishing heartfelt bond: carrying your baby close to your chest will feel like being wrapped in a loving embrace, which helps your little love gain a sense of trust & belonging. It is the most natural, womb-like position & creates an intimate bond between you both. Even a colicky baby will be soothed quickly to sleep as you carry them in their soft baby sling.
- Eco-friendly, super soft bamboo & linen that's kind to baby's skin: this high-end fabric is a classic jet black. We've prepared our midnight black bamboo blend fabric with stunning grey/silver rings. Our custom blend of bamboo and linen fabric provides an ultra-strong, lush woven fabric that is lightweight & silky smooth to gently shelter your baby as he or she drifts to sleep.
- Safest carry position for correct hip development: many baby wrap carriers interfere with healthy hip positioning as the baby is held incorrectly or facing outward & this can increase the risk of hip dysplasia. Nalakai ring slings harness your baby naturally in the m position so that hips can develop properly while keeping you and your baby comfortable. The front carry position massages your baby’s belly, improving digestion & preventing reflux & colic
- Regulates temperature better than a wrap: not all young babies can control their temperature well & can easily overheat in a wrap. Our ring sling baby carrier will keep you & your precious baby comfortable yet cool & won’t wrinkle your clothes as much either! The tail fabric can double as a nursing cover, so you can breastfeed your baby privately while on the go.
- 5% of profits to families in need: you can help! With each purchase, we donate on your behalf to Cepia, a charity supporting low-income families in Costa Rica. Designed by a mom of 2, our mission is to help families around the world. All ring slings are backed by a lifetime guarantee.
To start off with the admiration of this luxury baby holder, the ring sling design is a perfect fit for plus-size wearers. Usually, full-figured moms are often deprived of the heavenly pleasure to nestle their neonates in their arms in long outdoor events. Not anymore as the Nalakai is here to help you out! You can carry your little darling closest to you as long as you want. Eventually, it will lead you to feel a great baby bonding towards your little love.
Compared to other baby wraps, it controls heat better to keep both the newborn and the new mom cool. Moreover, the carrying positions are totally safe to shelter the baby.
However, it’s a bit overpriced in comparison to other slings. So, it’s not the right wrap for someone with a shoestring budget.
Material: The subtle blending of bamboo and linen fabric creates a smooth texture that is gentle to sensitive skin.
Eco-Friendly: Non-toxic materials make it environment friendly without the use of any harsh chemicals.
Color: So many exclusive colors to choose from. As a result, the moms look fashionable too while cuddling their children.
Weight: It has a weight of less than one pound, therefore, easily endurable for the long child holding hours.
Baby Weight Recommendation: You can bear babies weighing 3.6 kg to 15.8 kg.
Cleaning Instructions: The manufacturers advised to wash it in cold water and to hang it to dry.
Strap Types: The adjustable straps let you synthesize the ring sling while carrying your preemie proudly.
- Lightweight and eco-friendly materials are soft and gentle to comfort a crying child
- The ultra-strong fabric avails adequate support both for the baby and the wearer
- You can use the luxurious tail fabric as a cover to breastfeed privately
- The fabric is too soft that it needs to be tightened frequently
- The fabric gets creasy over time
5. Tuck and Bundle Hands-Free Babywearing Wrap
- Veteran-owned - Made in America of lightweight and cool-to-the touch 100% Tencel Modal
- Perfect for newborns 8-35 lbs (0-18 months old)
- One-size for parents petite through plus size and machine washable
- Simple to use and comes with a beautiful instruction booklet, beautiful Gift Box, and gift-ready cinch bag!
- Hip Healthy certified by the International Hip Dysplasia Institute
Looking for the best baby wrap carrier for a newborn? This is what you need to check right now!
Being engineered with 100% Lenzing Micromodal, the lightweight construction has a lot to offer the oversize mommas.
As it is one of the thinnest baby wraps in the market, it is truly enjoyable to wear.
You can bear your newborn up to 15 months with sheer safety. It doesn’t put any excessive pressure on your neonate’s delicate joints.
To add more, it allows skin-to-skin interaction between the baby and mom, therefore, you can easily overcome your postpartum depression due to the growing neurological bond with your child. Besides, you can enjoy a hands-free baby nursing period while keeping them close to your chest.
Material: It’s made of 100% Micromodal. So, the infant wrapper is incredibly soft and shrinkage resistant.
Weight Holding Capacity: Maximum recommended weight is 25 pounds, minimum 8 pounds.
Age Limit: 0-15-month-old babies can be safely carried.
Buckle-Free Design: It’s belt-free, buckle-free, and velcro-free to make the put-on more pleasant.
Support: Adequate hip, neck, and spine support to protect your sweetheart.
Weight: This outstanding child wrap carrier weighs only one pound, quite convenient to wear without feeling any extra load.
Care Instructions: It is machine washable, resultantly easily cleanable when needed.
- Long lifespan for carrying multiple kiddos
- The light and stretchy fabric perfectly fits the precious plus size moms, even dads
- Being soft and thin, it doesn’t overheat the baby
- It starts stretching out carrying over 10 pounds
Types of Carriers
Overwhelmed with the technical details of the best baby wrap carriers of plus-size moms? Look forward to the following five types of baby carriers to understand which suits the best for why.
Baby wraps are those that come with long pieces of material. Usually, you need to tie the stretchy material around your body. Newborns love these wraps as they can feel the warmth of the womb in this posture.
Pretty similar to the stretchy wraps, there are non-stretchy fabrics too, which make the best fit for anybody, particularly for those with bad backs.
Being designed for older babies in mind, structured carriers can be used for youngsters too. You can wear them as backpacks using shoulder straps. Nevertheless, they come with a frame to enhance the balance while hiking with your little honey.
They are also known as soft structured carriers, generally made for infants to toddlers. Coming with adaptable belts and padded shoulder straps, they are the most crowd-pleasing carriers, especially as the best baby carriers for plus-size people.
Although not comfy enough to cuddle your toddler for long hours, ring slings are quite popular too. These are baby wraps with a ring at one end. The ring helps you sort out the snugness.
Apart from the regular types, you can find some special-purpose infant bearers, suitable for Asian-style baby bearing. These come with four padded straps in total, two around the waist of the neonate, and two around the shoulder of the bearer.
Benefits of Using a Baby Carrier for Plus Size Mom
Moms with some extra weight also want to cuddle their precious children next to their hearts. And carriers are the only way to do so. Let’s dig deep into how baby carriers help the moms in plus size grow!
- Moms can do whatever they want- shopping, traveling, hiking, hanging out with friends while still keeping their newborns close. After all, they also have a life. At the same time, it’s very important to take care of the little one too. Baby holders serve both the purpose.
- Both the child and the mom develop physical and emotional bonds with each other which help their psychological growth.
- It’s easier to breastfeed whenever and wherever you want.
- The intimate connection between the mom and the child leads to better breast milk production. Also, the new mommy could lose some extra kilos carrying the baby around.
How to Stay Comfortable When Using a Carrier?
Although babywearing is a blessing with appropriate carriers, it can be uncomfortable without some tricks. To make a bearer convenient, focus on the fitting first. Unless it offers a snug fit, it will be too roomy and move to and fro which is unsafe as well.
Also, the child should be as close as possible to the bearer’s body. Otherwise, breathing issues could occur.
That being said, you must choose holders with some extra amenities like adjustable seats, removable hoods, padded straps, etc. All these little things altogether will reassure your relief in long cuddling hours. Trying out different carrying positions based on one’s alleviation might be of great help as well.
How to Stop a Baby from Overheating in a Carrier?
Overheating is a common issue while wearing baby holders on warmer days. But what will you do if your child starts sweating? To avoid this situation, it’s better to always stay in the shade. But it’s not always possible, right?
In that case, both the baby and the bearer should wear cotton-based clothes that are airy enough. Also, don’t stick to the baby’s body on hot summer days. You can use a piece of cloth in between to make things less sticky.
Most importantly, keep your little honey hydrated enough. And if everything fails, get the baby out of the sling or wrap.
However, wrap carriers with the fewest layers, back carriers, hip carriers, etc. keep cool during hot days. So, choose the carriers wisely.
Do baby carriers have a weight limit?
Yes, they do have a weight limit depending on the construction. It depends on the types of carriers too. For example, a baby wrap can carry less weight than a back carrier.
How much weight can a baby wrap hold?
Usually, a baby wrap is used to carry newborns. But the maximum weight capacity is fixed. It can hold up to 25-35 pounds of weight, depending on the model.
Can I sit while wearing a baby carrier?
If you are careful enough not to squeeze your little darling’s body parts, you can sit wearing a carrier. Be sure to lift the child’s legs before sitting.
Can a baby overheat in a carrier?
Being made of multiple layers, a baby carrier can easily overheat in warm weather. As newborns are incapable of regulating body temperature, you must keep a keen eye on them while they are inside a carrier.
How to protect a newborn from the sun in a carrier?
To keep your bambino safe from the sun, you can use long sleeve clothes, long hats with neck coverage, etc. But you must remember that the clothes need to be light enough not to suffocate your kids.
Carrying the most precious gift from the Almighty in your womb for nine long months is certainly challenging. But carrying them to your chest during the newborn months is equally challenging, particularly for extra-large moms. Here comes the baby wrap carrier handy to keep your hands free yet embrace your bundle of joy so closely.
To narrow down the long list of best baby wrap carriers for plus-size moms, we came up with the current best recommendations. If you prioritize comfort, go for Baby K’tan Baby Wrap Carrier. In terms of versatility and style, the Breeze Carrier from the same manufacturer deserves a try. As a summer-friendly option, give the Konny Ultra-Lightweight Wrap Carrier a go.
However, we hope you find your pick here. And remember that they fit a plus size dad too!